Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is very delicious and flavorful with a good stew-like texture. It works well served over whole grain couscous or for a hearty pasta dish. Great for an easy cold weather dish. It also stores well and tastes great as a left over, even cold.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut in small chunks
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, italian blend
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion until tender; add garlic.
- Add chunks of eggplant and stir until you can see all of the oil is absorbed on the bottom of the pan. Add remaining oil and stir.
- Season with salt, pepper, and flakes. Cover until eggplant becomes slightly translucent.
- Add both cans of tomatoes with liquid and stir, mixing all ingredients well.
- Cover pan and simmer on high so the mixture bubbles.
- Stir again and reduce to low heat.
- Cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. (depending on your tender preference.).
- Serve as a main dish plain or over a grain.