Recipe by Aurora
This is a delicious and inexpensive way to simmer a whole chicken or pieces. I have made it a number of times for my family and they all love it. Also freezes good over rice for individual rice bowls!
- 1 whole chicken, cut in pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄3-3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in big pot, and brown chicken on all sides.
- Mix soy sauce, brown sugar, water, catsup, apple juice, red pepper flakes, garlic and green onion.
- Pour mixture over chicken in pot.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes.
- Remove chicken to platter (debone, if desired, and cut into bite sized pieces.).
- Skim fat off top of sauce.
- Blend together cold water and cornstarch and stir into sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with sesame seeds and more sliced green onion.
- Serve with rice and sauce.