Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a super easy to make "all in one-pot" dinner. The flavors are wonderful. The recipe calls for a whole chicken but I have also made it with boneless breasts and thighs.
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 green onion (sliced diagonally, small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Rinse the chicken and remove"the goodies" from the inside, pat dry with papertowels.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or soup pan.
- Brown the chicken on all sides.
- Mix soy sauce, brown sugar, 1/2 c water, catsup, sherry, red pepper, garlic and green onion together.
- Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a serving platter.
- Dissolve the 2 T of cornstarch in 1 T of water.
- Add to the sauce in the pan, over low heat, to thicken.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- We serve this with rice and pour the sauce over the rice as well.
I think this is most enjoyable chicken dish that I've ever eaten. I used a whole chicken, didn't change a thing and the meat was super moist and the flavor combination was sublime.
Delicious and quick! I can't believe a 6# chicken cooked in under an hour. The whole family enjoyed this and I look forward to fixing it again. I didn't have apple juice or sherry, so I just used water. My family likes things a little on the spicy side, so I used a little over 1/2t of red pepper. The flavor was excellent, the chicken was so very moist, and the house smelled great. Thanks for sharing.
I thought this was ok; dh liked it. I just made the sauce and made it with the sherry but might try the apple juice next time. I served this with mixed veggies, 2 chicken breasts (chopped) and over rice.