Recipe by Montana Heart Song
Thihttp://www.recipezaar.com/members/subm/editr2.php?sid=1598379 Editing Simmered Cabbage, celery, onions, carrots in Broth/Base is a base recipe to add meats, fish, noodles or rice. You can use as a side dish also. The flavor is good with any meat. I use lemon pepper, a commercial grade along with a little salt. Wonderful to freeze. For 4 servings, more if adding other main dish ingredients. 6-8 servings. 10 options lists for 11 dishes. Enjoy.
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried onion or 3⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 10 -15 baby carrots, sliced 1/2 inch wide
- 4 stalks celery, chopped with leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sysco chicken base
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 4 ounces mushrooms, with liquid (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: You may use chicken bouillon cubes or vegetable broth or liquid chicken broth in place of chicken base and water.
- In large deep frying pan, pile the vegetables, dried onion and lemon pepper.
- Put the chicken base in water and microwave to dissolve or but all on top of veggies.
- Add olive oil on top and salt if desired. Put a lid on the pan and simmer on low heat. Mix with a spatula a few times. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve as a side dish.
- •Add 3 cups cooked rice or noodles and mix. Add margarine before adding.
- •Add 2 cups couscous and mix.
- •Add more chicken broth and add 2 tbsps cornstarch in 1/2 cup cold water and thicken and serve over hard Chinese noodles or mashed potatoes.
- •Add 3-4 cups cooked ham chunks or leftover ham.
- •Add canned corned beef cubes or leftover corned beef.
- •Add cooked turkey or chicken.
- •Add cooked shrimp or crab meat with the addition of 1/2 tsp dry mustard mixed.
- •Add cashew nuts and sliced pimentos before serving.
- •Dissolve 2 tbsps flour in 1 cup milk with 1 teaspoons margarine by whisking. Add and heat. Serve white sauce vegetable mixture over toast points.
- •Add 8 oz can of tomato sauce to base; add cooked drained hamburger or sausage (I add a little splenda if making this addition.