Recipe by *Parsley*
A meatless cabbage skillet dish. This works in the crockpot, too. Just put everything in the crockpot at once EXCEPT the cream cheese and cook on low 6-8 hours or high for about 3 hours. Stir the cream cheese in when done.
Top Review by Boomette
Sorry for the not so good rating. I didn't like the addition of cream cheese. Maybe I would prefer it without cream cheese. But usually I like cream cheese, that's why I thought I would like it. Thanks for posting :) Made for Newest Zaar tag.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, coarsley chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 head green cabbage, about 3 lbs, coarsley chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute onions in the butter for about 5 minutes or until softening.
- To the skillet, add the crushed tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and clery seeds; stir well and bring to just a soft boil.
- Place chopped cabbage on top (the skillet will be full, but the cabbage will wilt down); reduce heat to medium-low, cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir. Replace lid and simmer for an additional 20-25 minutes, (stirring once halfway through) or until desired tenderness is reached. If it appears to drying, just add a little water/broth.
- Turn off heat. Stir in the cream cheese; heat through and serve.
- ***For Crockpot: Put everthing in the crockpot EXCEPT the cream cheese. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for about 3 hours (depends on how tender you like your cabbage). When done, stir in the cream cheese.