Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a recipe from Ricardo I made today. This can be frozen and it's made in the crockpot.
- 2 lbs stewed boneless beef cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I used a non-stick pan and omitted the oil)
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut in slices of 3/4 inch
- 2 celery ribs, cut in slices of 3/4 inch
- 227 g white mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, brown half meat in oil. Add salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining beef. (I used a non-stick skillet and didn't use oil). Set aside in the crockpot and sprinkle with barley.
- In the same skillet, brown carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion. Add more oil if needed. Add salt and pepper. Add garlic, Dijon mustard and cook about 2 minutes. Deglaze with the wine and add chicken stock. Bring to boil and pour in the crockpot.
- Cook around 5 hours at low heat or 3 hours at high heat until meat is easy to tear with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley. Adjust seasoning.
Hearty, robust dish. I used beef broth. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag. :)
DH and I both loved this, we are fans of beef barley. I skipped the wine and used beef broth instead of chicken. The mustard added an interesting under note that made this different but very good. It's a hearty winter soup that is a meal in it's self.
This made for a lovely filling meal. I didn't bother browning the meat, just threw ita ll in the slow cooker to save on dishes, served over brown rice for a wholesome & healthy dinner.