Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sold Turkish street vendors. Eat as a breakfast food topped with jam or yogurt. Also known in other countries as...koulouri (Greece ), devrek (Serbia), gevrek (Bulgaria), gjevrek (Macedonia) and common in other parts of the Balkans and Middle East such as Lebanon.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients .
- Add olive oil, melted butter, water, milk, and egg.
- Fold dry ingredients into liquids to form a dough, about 10 minutes.
- Tear off pieces of dough, make a long rope, ring ends of "rope" together to make a circle.
- Place circle on greased cookie sheet.
- Brush with milk.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until simit become a golden brown color and crispy on top.