Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
The site where I found this said it's fine for kids if they drink it as soon as the raisins start to float, but it becomes slightly intoxicating as it ferments.
- 3785.0 ml water
- 2 large lemons
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml white sugar, plus sugar for bottles
- 1.23 ml yeast
- 25 raisins
- Bring the water to a steady boil.
- Meanwhile, use a zester or vegetable peeler to remove the yellow outer rind from the lemons and place in a large non-metal, heatproof container.
- Peel, or trim, off the white rind and discard.
- Slice the lemons and place in the container with the zest. Add the brown sugar and white sugar.
- When the water boils, add it to the container with the lemons and sugar.
- Let it cool to lukewarm, then stir in the yeast.
- Cover and allow to sit out at room temperature for 24-48 hours, or until surface begins to bubble slightly.
- Strain the liquid into clean containers about 1 quart in size. Add 5-6 raisins and 1 tsp sugar to each container. Seal tightly and refrigerate 2-5 days, or until raisins float to the surface.
- Keep refrigerated and serve cool.