Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
This looks delicious and has a 5 star rating on www.taste.com.au This recipe was originally printed in Fresh Living magazine. It's Winter in Australia and I've been looking for a simple pie recipe without too many ingredients. I think this one fits the bill nicely. You could substitute Spinach for Silverbeet too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 500 g mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 bunch silver beet, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 300 ml lite thickened cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated low-fat swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat. Saute the onion and garlic for 5 mins or until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for another 2 minutes
- Add the silverbeet, nutmeg and season. Cover the saucepan and cook until the silverbeet wilts.
- Remove from the heat, stir the silverbeet through the mushrooms and drain any excess moisture.
- Transfer the silverbeet mixture into a large 6 cup capacity baking dish.
- Whisk the eggs and cream together, season and stir through the grated cheese, then pour the egg mixture over the silverbeet mixture, swirl the egg mixture through the silverbeet using a fork.
- Bake the pie for 40 mins or until golden and set. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.