Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 envelope gelatin, unflavored
- 1⁄4 cup water, cold
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely grated
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh salmon or 2 cups canned salmon, finely flaked poached,skin and bones removed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Soften gelatin in cold water in large bowl.
- Stir in boiling water.
- Whisk mix until gelatin dissolves.
- Whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion, Tabasco sauce, paprika, salt and dill.
- Stir to blend.
- Refrigerate until mixture begins to thicken slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Fold in salmon.
- In separate bowl whip cream to thicken then fold into salmon.
- Transfer mixture to 6 to 8 cup bowl or mold.
- Cover and chill 4 hours.
- Serve on toasts, black bread or crackers.
- Serves 12 portions.
Light and delicious, a huge hit both times I made it! Thought it needed a little more depth so on my second try, I added a little extra Tabasco and used a seasoned salt. Served with thick-cut cucumbers as a low-cal alternative to crackers.
Fabulous! I use poached fresh salmon instead of canned, added a dash of smoked chipolte red pepper instead of Tabasco and sprinlked a bunch of capers on top.
I recentley traveled to England and had a Crab Mousse which I wanted to try and make. I used this recipe and subtituted crab meat for the Salmon. It turned out very good but just a little too Salty. I think next time I'll eliminate the salt and maybe even rinse the crab meat? I'm planning to make it the salmon next time.