Recipe by JackieOhNo!
From the famous Silver Palate caterers. Great one-dish party fare. Serve with crusty bread and a hearty red wine. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead and refrigerated. Just reheat before serving.)
Top Review by Lisa W.
This has been my go-to chili recipe since the late 1990s. I use all ground need, rather than "cut up" sausage. And, I add 3-4 cans of dark kidney beans, which stretches the recipe. It easily serves 24-30 and freezes very well. Use high quality chili powder. This is the best chili recipe, hands down.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 3⁄4 lb green bell pepper, coarsely choppd
- 3⁄4 lb red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 lb green jalapeno, seeded and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 3 (36 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 lbs fresh Italian plum tomatoes, quartered
- grated monterey jack cheese or grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- sliced green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sausages and water in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Cook until sausages are brown, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Transfer sausages to paper towels and drain.
- Heat oil in heavy Dutch oven over low heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium. Add ground chuck and cook until well browned, mashing with fork and stirring frequently.
- Add sausage, bell peppers and chilies. Cook until peppers are wilted, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in canned tomatoes, wine and tomato paste. Stir in herbs and spices. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add fresh tomatoes and cook 10 minutes. Tip pan and degrease.
- Spoon into bowls.
- Pass cheeses, sour cream, and onions separately.