Recipe by xpnsve
This is my hands down all time favorite carrot cake recipe from the Silver Palate cookbook.
Top Review by Jyoti I.
This is the best Carrot Cake ever! I have used this recipe for many years in a cafe. * It is very moist * Carrots do not turn green as in many recipes I reduce the sugar by nearly 1 cup, put them into giant muffin tins, and make these into "Morning Muffins" for a cafe. When business is slow, I bake half of the batter the first morning, and then the other half the next day, which spreads out the delightful morning smells. I substitute canned pumpkin for the carrots in the fall! One last tip, since I make them often, I puree a big bag of carrots at a time, then freeze the remainder for my next baking day.
- butter, for greasing the pan
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup corn oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, shelled, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1⁄3 cups carrots, cooked, pureed
- 3⁄4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease two 9-inch springform pans.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat well. Fold in the walnuts, coconut, carrots, and pineapple.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Set on the center rack of the oven and bake until the edges have pulled away from the sides and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes.
- Cool on a cake rack for 3 hours. Fill and frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting.
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly sift in the confectioners’ sugar and continue beating until fully incorporated. The mixture should be free of lumps.
- Stir in the vanilla, and lemon juice if desired.