Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
In Iceland herring is callled the 'Silver of the Sea'. The most likely reason for the name is that this fish was the source of great wealth during the first half of the twentieth centry. In Iceland, pickled herring is a great delicacy and is frequently served as an appetizer in a kind of salad. This recipe is from the cookbook "Delicious Iceland" by Chef Volundur Snaer Volundarson.
- Cut the pickled herring fillets into 1 " pieces. Set aside while you prepare the potato salad.
- Boil the potatoes and then let them cool.
- While the potatoes are cooling mixed the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste to make a simple vinaigrette.
- Halve the cooled potatoes and mix together with watercress and dill to taste. Toss the potato salad with the vinaigrette.
- Arrange the potato salad in 4 small bowls or serving plates. Top the salad with the thinly sliced onion and crown with the pickled herring slices. Garnish each plate or bowl with a whole dill sprig.