- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 egg whites, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease bottom of 9x13 cake pan.
- Line with waxed paper; grease and flour waxed paper.
- Beat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, shortening, 3/4 cup milk and vanilla until well blended.
- Beat in remaining milk and egg whites.
- Bake in prepared pans 30 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; transfer to rack; peel paper and finish cooling.
- Frost as desired.
- Or serve with fresh strawberries and cream.