Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
No self-respecting smorgasbord would be without this dish. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 salt herring fillets
- 2 medium apples, peeled and finely minced
- 5 cups beets (peeled, cooked and minced)
- 1⁄3 cup onion, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup dill pickle, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup French dressing (French Dressing (Not Catalina Style) or your own recipe)
- 3 eggs, hard cooked
- Soak herring in cold water for one hour.
- Remove skin and bones; cut into very small pieces.
- Toss beets, apples, herring, onion, and pickle with salt and French dressing.
- Chill for two hours.
- Serve on a platter and garnish with finely chopped egg whites.
- Sieve egg yolks and sprinkle on top of salad.