Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
The secret to silky ice cream is a little bit of corn syrup. This ice cream is not only creamy and delicious! It has a lovely texture. You will never be happy with store bought ice cream again! Use real vanilla extract, not imitation. It makes a big difference. After churning, you can add whatever yummy goodies you want such as nuts, candies of every description, mini chocolate chips, Reese's peanut butter cups, swirl chocolate or whatever! Use your imagination.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium sized saucepan, add milk, sugar, cream, corn syrup and salt.
- Cook over medium heat to 175ˆ (use a candy thermometer if you have one) or until steaming but not boiling.
- Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl and ladle in cream mixture one scoop at a time, whisking all the time, until about 2 cups of mixture is in the eggs. This is called tempering.
- Pour egg mixture back into saucepan and cook to 180ˆ, or for about 2 minutes until slightly thick. Again, don't allow mixture to boil.
- Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract.
- Pour into bowl through a fine sieve to remove any egg solids.
- Allow to cool. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours before churning.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions for churning and freezing ice cream! ENJOY!