Recipe by Sharon123
I went on a cruise on the Holland America cruiseline and they served a wonderful carrot soup. The seasonings are a little different, and this is from the Down Home with the Neely's cookbook, so you know it's gotta be good!
- 1182.95 ml vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 453.59 g carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 6 ounces)
- 9.85 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper (more or less to heat preference)
- 236.59 ml buttermilk (well shaken)
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 29.58 ml flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, combine the stock with the carrots, celery, onion, leek, potato, ginger, cumin, coriander, and cayenne, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor(or blender), then return to the pot.
- Stir in buttermilk and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat gently. Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle with the parsley and serve. Enjoy!