I went on a cruise on the Holland America cruiseline and they served a wonderful carrot soup. The seasonings are a little different, and this is from the Down Home with the Neely's cookbook, so you know it's gotta be good!
- 1182.95 ml vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 453.59 g carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 6 ounces)
- 9.85 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper (more or less to heat preference)
- 236.59 ml buttermilk (well shaken)
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 29.58 ml flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- In a large pot, combine the stock with the carrots, celery, onion, leek, potato, ginger, cumin, coriander, and cayenne, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor(or blender), then return to the pot.
- Stir in buttermilk and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat gently. Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle with the parsley and serve. Enjoy!
Nice and tangy, not to mention HEALTHY soup booming with vitamins. I liked the tanginess from the buttermilk and lemon juice. Made for PRMR
Perfectly delicious! Plus good for you too. If you like tomato or red pepper soup you will love this recipe. Seasonings are right on. I used the suggested amount of pepper. I liked the buttermilk in this -think it gave it a bit of tang. Thank you Sharon for sharing.
I love this soup!! Smooth yet with a kick to it, the only thing I changed was using whipping cream for the buttermilk, which I really don't like. I kept it a cream and just poured it right in. Came out great!!!