Recipe by Sharon123
I went on a cruise on the Holland America cruiseline and they served a wonderful carrot soup. The seasonings are a little different, and this is from the Down Home with the Neely's cookbook, so you know it's gotta be good!
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 lb carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 6 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to heat preference)
- 1 cup buttermilk (well shaken)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, combine the stock with the carrots, celery, onion, leek, potato, ginger, cumin, coriander, and cayenne, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor(or blender), then return to the pot.
- Stir in buttermilk and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat gently. Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle with the parsley and serve. Enjoy!