Prep 4 hrs 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Murgh Reshmi Seekh Kabaabs From 1,000 Indian Recipes
- 1⁄2 cup green chutney, basic
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chat masala
- 1 kg boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 onion, small coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, fresh peeled
- 2 pieces gingerroot, fresh peeled quarter sliced
- 3 serrano peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 egg whites, large lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, as needed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, small cut in half length wise and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped, including soft stems
- 16 skewers, metal or bamboo soaked in water at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare chutney. In a small bowl mix together lime juice, butter and black salt or chaat masala, and reserve.
- In food processor, process together the chicken, onion, cashews, garlic, ginger, chilie peppers, egg whites, and all the spices until as smooth as possible. Cover and marinate in the fridge 4 hours.
- Preheat grill to 200°C, or preheat the broiler. Moisten clean fingers with water, divide the meat into 16 equal parts, and make each portion into a long, thin shape (like a hot dog) If the mixture is too soft to work with, mix in the flour, using as much as needed to make a soft dough that holds its shape. Thread the chicken onto the skewers, brush with the lime-butter mixture and grill over medium-high heat coals or broil on the top rack (about 15 cm away from the heating element), turning frequently until firm and lightly charred on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
- Heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium high heat and cook the sliced onion until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the cilantro and stir about 1 minute, then scatter over kebabs. Dot with some of the chutney and serve the remaining chutney on the side.