You can serve this sauce with grilled vegetables, roulades, frittatas, or pastas or wherever its sweet brightness is called for. Adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large red bell peppers, roasted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 cups water (or vegetable stock)
- 2 -3 teaspoons white wine vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1Coarsely chop the peeled peppers.
- 2Warm the olive oil in a medium skillet with the onion and half the herbs. Add the peppers and 1/2 teaspoons salt and cook over medium heat until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes. Add the wine and cook until it's syrupy, then add the tomato puree, paste, and water.
- 3Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- 4Puree, then pass through a food mill.
- 5Season to tastte with the vinegar and stir in the butter(it rounds the flavors and gives the sauce a silky sheen).
- 6Reheat before serving and stir in the remaining herbs at the last minute.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Silky Red Pepper Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.5
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar