Recipe by eatrealfood
These kebabs are made exceptionally silken and smooth by being made fine in a blender, and then kneaded in a dough-like fashion. The result is a smooth, soft, melt-in-the-mouth pattie.
Top Review by Mr Ted
I very rarely cook but after having sheesh kebab in Egypt I sought a similar dish. This was easy to cook and the result was delicious. I substituted the "real" bread for gluten-free as I am coeliac and I didn't use cloves as we didn't have any - but all turned out very well. Even I was impressed!
- 2 slices white bread, crumbs of
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (freshly roasted is best)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1⁄4 cup channa dal (soaked for at least 3hrs)
- 6 cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 mace blades
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, chopped
- 3 green chilies, halved
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large pan and add all the ingredients listed for the patties.
- At first, stir on high heat for 4-5 minutes, reduce to medium heat, and continue to cook about 30-40 minutes until the ground lamb is cooked.
- Then, increase heat and let the meat dehydrate till totally dry and crumbly - you want to remove as much moisture as possible, while at the same time taking care to stir so that the lamb does not burn.
- Let cool a bit, remove the whole spices if you like, and then add the breadcrumbs, ground coriander and cumin and egg white.
- Blend in a food processor till fine.
- Put into a bowl and chill for 2 hrs or overnight (if left in fridge overnight, allow to come to room temperature first).
- Knead mixture for at least 5-7 minutes, as if you were working a dough - the more you do this the softer the patty will be.
- Shape the patties into balls and flatten.
- Heat oil on moderate setting, add cook patties on one side undisturbed for at least 3-4 minutes before flipping over, and continue to cook until it crisps up on the outside.
- Sink your teeth inches.