1/1 Photo of Silky Chocolate Mousse
2 hrs 35 mins
Kitty Kat Cook's Note:
From Foodnetwork.com, How to Boil water. We made this last week and I just had to post it! This is the fluffy kind of mousse opposed to the creamy kind (Also good). Yum!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 6 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 2 tablespoons liqueur, of choice or 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- frozen raspberries (to garnish) or chocolate shavings (to garnish)
- 1In a cold non-reactive bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks. Set aside.
- 2Fill a saucepan about a third of the way with water, then bring to a simmer.
- 3Chop the chocolate with a cook's knife. Put the chocolate in a medium-large heatproof bowl, and place over the water. Stir the chocolate occasionally until melted and smooth. Set the chocolate aside. Keep the pot of water hot, but not boiling.
- 4In a small bowl, stir the espresso powder into the rum or water, to dissolve.
- 5Put the egg, yolks, and pinch of salt in heatproof bowl. With a hand-held electric mixer whip the eggs until light, about 1 minute. Slowly add the sugar to the eggs, while continuing to beat. Add the rum mixture.
- 6Set the bowl of eggs over the simmering water, increase the heat to bring the water to a rapid simmer. Whisk the egg mixture constantly over the heat, until pale yellow, very fluffy, and hot to the touch, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whip until cool and thick, and the mixture folds over on itself or "holds a ribbon".
- 7Whisk about a quarter of the egg foam into the chocolate to lighten. With the whisk, briskly fold in the remaining foam, (the mixture may get very thick). Whisk in the whipped cream, taking care to keep the mixture light. Pour the chocolate mixture into 4 serving dishes and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Silky Chocolate Mousse
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.8
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.7 g
- Saturated Fat 28.6 g
- Cholesterol 239.2 mg
- Sodium 93.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 9.6 g