Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
Once I tried this type of frosting, I have never gone back to the butter-cream type made with powdered sugar. This is just as creamy and fluffy, but not as gaggy sweet. Sweet enough without overpowering the cake. Prep times includs 15 minutes for cooling (may take longer depending on air temp).
- In 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, flour and cocoa.
- With wire whisk, gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened and boils.
- Reduce heat to low; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; cool completely.
- In medium bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter until creamy.
- Gradually beat in milk mixture, melted chocolate and vanilla.
This frosting was too thin, like water with all of the milk added. I tried everything I knew of to thicken it up. If I make it again, I would only use about 1/3-1-2 of the milk and I think it would be fine.
I really love the frosting . I chilled it before spreading it on my banana chocolate cake . I will make this frosting more often , it reminds me of the butter creams that we use in Germany.
This was a really good frosting. My only problem was I didn't think it was thick enough so I added a little powdered sugar--maybe 1 or 1 1/2 cups.