Recipe by Sharlene~W
Once I tried this type of frosting, I have never gone back to the butter-cream type made with powdered sugar. This is just as creamy and fluffy, but not as gaggy sweet. Sweet enough without overpowering the cake. Prep times includs 15 minutes for cooling (may take longer depending on air temp).
Top Review by Melissa Ferrell
This frosting was too thin, like water with all of the milk added. I tried everything I knew of to thicken it up. If I make it again, I would only use about 1/3-1-2 of the milk and I think it would be fine.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, flour and cocoa.
- With wire whisk, gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened and boils.
- Reduce heat to low; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; cool completely.
- In medium bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter until creamy.
- Gradually beat in milk mixture, melted chocolate and vanilla.