Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This cheesy, pungent, nutty polenta is soft and creamy. It can be eaten alone or served with roasted or braised lamb, pork or chicken. Shelled pumpkin seeds are available at specialty food stores. They are sometimes called pepitas.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 dash hot red pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup toasted green pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- Heat oil in large, heavy saucepan over medium low heat. Cook onion, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in milk, garlic and hot pepper sauce and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Add cornmeal in THREE additions, stirring in each until fully incorporated. Cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until polenta is thick and slight crust forms on bottom of saucepan. Stir in pumpkin seeds, Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Makes 4 servings.
- The Chef’s Table.