Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking, posted for ZWT IV. Jaffrey says, "this dish takes just 15 minutes to cook and is best eaten fresh out of the oven. I leave it in its marinade until exactly 15 minutes before we sit down to eat. (It can stay in the marinade, covered and refrigerated, for several hours, or even overnight)."
Chicken and Marinade
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
For sprinkling over chicken
- garam masala
- dried mint
- lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to its highest temperature and arrange a shelf in the top third of the oven.
- Cut 3 diagonal slits across the top of each chicken breast and prick the chicken pieces with the sharp point of a small knife.
- Place them in a single layer in a large baking dish and rub both sides with the salt and lemon juice. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cream with the garam masala, cayenne, cumin, paprika, garlic and ginger in a bowl.
- Stir this mixture well and pour over the chicken. Rub it into the meat and leave for 10 minutes (or longer - up to overnight).
- Lift the chicken pieces up - most of the marinade will cling to them - and place them in a single layer in a shallow baking pan lined with aluminum foil.
- On top of each, sprinkle a little salt, pepper, garam masala, cumin, cayenne, mint and lemon juice.
- Put into the top third of the oven and bake for 15 minutes or till the chicken is just white all the way through.
- Serve immediately, minted side up.
Yummy chicken! I marinated about 5 hours. Cut back a little on the cayenne, but other than that, made exactly as written and it was perfect! Served with Indian spiced spinach and cucumber salad. Going in the keeper file for sure- thanks pattikay!
Absolutely delicious!! The texture of the chicken was as smooth and silken as the title implies,and so tender and moist! The flavour was outstanding ( I did marinate for 24 hours!) .We loved it..thank you so much for posting,we'll be making this again and again!!
My husband said this was "awesome!" and the kids liked it too. I used chicken thighs and half-and-half, but otherwise followed the recipe. Oh, except I didn't add cayenne to the sprinkles. Even so, it was hot enough that my 3-year-old ran from the table in a panic until I got him a glass of milk! oops. Really good and *very* easy to prepare! Reviewed for ZWT4.