Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a rich Nepali dessert made from thickened whole-milk yogurt flavoured with nuts and sweet spices.
- In a large bowl, mix yogurt and sour cream together.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into a large colander with a cheese cloth liner.
- Allow draining for about 12 hours.
- Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Dissolve saffron, if used, in luke warm cream.
- To the yogurt mixture add sugar, cinnamon, black pepper, cardamom, nutmeg, dissolved saffron, and pistachio nuts; fold in thoroughly.
- Chill overnight in refrigerator.
- To serve, scoop a cup of chilled dessert into a serving plate, topped with a generous amount of unsalted, shelled, whole pistachio nuts.
Totally awesome. Smooth and creamy, rich and chewey, sweet and spicy - this "pudding" has it all. In the US try health food stores for whole milk yogurt if your grocery doesn't carry it, or make your own. This is going to be Mother's Day dessert at our house. She'll love it.
i usually just mix yoghurt, cinnamon, grated coconut and sugar together to make sikarni. it only takes 5-10 mins.