From Delicious Istanbul. I loooove these and always go ape at my favorite Turkish joints getting these and eating them with yummy red lentil soup...this home version really isn't as difficult as I thought it'd be! And I like that they're baked, not fried; I can even whip up a small batch in my toaster! I didn't include time to thaw out your phyllo, as I usually get impatient and just leave it sitting next to the toaster or other warm device and let it speed up the thawing. Soft white cheese like Israeli or Bulgarian feta (which is different from actual feta) is also good for this. A little fresh dill is also awesome in these.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare the filling by mixing the cheese, parsley, half the egg, salt, and pepper. You can do this with a hand mixer or food processor/blender, or a fork if you want to give your arms a good workout. Set aside into a bowl.
- 2Lay the 3 phyllo sheets down on top of each other on a clean surface. With a knife (or ease, a pizza cutter) slice them vertically down the middle to get 2 long, even rectangles. Slice each rectangle diagonally to get 12 even, thin triangles.
- 3Take one phyllo triangle and place it so that its shorter side is closer to you and place a table spoon of filling along the opposite end of the triangle (not the pointy part facing you.).
- 4Tuck the bottom of the triangle over the filling then roll up into a thin cigar (you'll be flattening it a little.) Wet the pointy tip of the triangle with water for sealing and place on a baking sheet coated in foil or parchment paper.
- 5Repeat this until you have no more filling or phyllo left; should have 12 "cigars".
- 6Brush each cigar completely with half the egg, then the olive oil. To make sure the bottoms cook, I prefer to line my casserole pan with foil and put some of this egg-olive oil mixture all over the foil.
- 7Bake at 450F for 12-15 minutes or until golden-brown. Goes great with red lentil soup!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sigara Bouregi/Bourek Turkish Cheese Cigars
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.2
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 146.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 2.0 g