Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
From Foods of the World, Time Life.
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, in 1/8-inch slices
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- lettuce leaf
- In 1-qt enamel, glass or stainless stell pan, bring water and lemon juice to a boil. Add sliced mushrooms; cover pan. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain in sieve; pat dry with paper towels.
- In 1-qt bowl, combine cream, onion, sugar salt and pepper. Add mushrooms. Toss lightly until well covered. Serve as a salad on crisp, dry lettuce.
This was very tasty. It was served as part of a Scandinavian buffet and finished, which is always a good sign. I will make it again, maybe adding a little Dijon or even coarse mustard and serve it over chicken breast. Thanks for a versatile recipe.