Recipe by Holiday1234
German cheese soup. It takes between 20-30 minutes to prepare. This recipe orginally came from the Hotel Kaisergarten in Siegen, Germany. I got it through a recipe exchange the contributor was Barb Parker.
- 2 onions, julienned
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 tablespoons grated gruyere cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly sauté onions in the butter until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with flour.
- Heat the beef stock and slowly pour it over the onions, stirring constantly.
- In a separate pan, melt grated cheese over low heat.
- Remove from the flame and mix in the egg yolks.
- Combine the cheese with the onions and beef stock, season lightly with salt and pepper and add the nutmeg.
- Serve; garnish each serving with a tablespoon of sour cream.