1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Perfect soup for us to have when a cold is coming on or a fever is going around. Even my DH ate a huge bowl. It's very quick to put together and most is passive cooking time. Modified from, http://chetday.com/coldfluremedy.htm
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small whole chicken, skin on
- 3 small turnips, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 1 yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into slices
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 stalks celery, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 5 stalks parsley (fresh, no leaves! They will be removed but add great flavour masha Allah)
- 2 1/2-3 quarts water
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, just a little bit
- 1Put everything into the pot with about 2 1/2 quarts or more of water to cover chicken.
- 2Simmer and skim until no scum remains.
- 3Reduce heat, partially cover and cook at a low simmer until done.
- 4Remove parsley stalks.
- 5You may wish to cool the soup and remove the fat from the top. I did not and it was still very good but my chicken was not fatty.
- 6Remove skin and de-bone the chicken breasts and add the meat in chunks to the soup. (DH doesn't like the dark meat added).
- 7Add sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- 8I hope it makes you feel better!
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sickbed Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (724 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.2
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 162.5 mg
- Sodium 227.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 39.1 g