Recipe by UmmBinat
Perfect soup for us to have when a cold is coming on or a fever is going around. Even my DH ate a huge bowl. It's very quick to put together and most is passive cooking time. Modified from, http://chetday.com/coldfluremedy.htm
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I usually make chicken soup with diced or shredded chicken breast that was previously frozen, but for this recipe I did the whole chicken thing! No cold, no fever, but that didn't detract from a very nice tasting soup I got from your recipe! Many thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1 small whole chicken, skin on
- 3 small turnips, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 1 yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into slices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 stalks celery, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 5 stalks parsley (fresh, no leaves! They will be removed but add great flavour masha Allah)
- 2 1⁄2-3 quarts water
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, just a little bit
Directions See How It's Made
- Put everything into the pot with about 2 1/2 quarts or more of water to cover chicken.
- Simmer and skim until no scum remains.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and cook at a low simmer until done.
- Remove parsley stalks.
- You may wish to cool the soup and remove the fat from the top. I did not and it was still very good but my chicken was not fatty.
- Remove skin and de-bone the chicken breasts and add the meat in chunks to the soup. (DH doesn't like the dark meat added).
- Add sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- I hope it makes you feel better!