Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A perfect sauce for pasta......a favorite with spaghetti
- 10 anchovies
- 1 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans tomatoes (with the juice)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- In a deep pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, eggplant and red pepper.
- Cook until eggplant is soft.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, sugar, wine and pepper flake.
- Crush tomatoes with a fork.
- Bring to a boil.
- Put heat on low and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add anchovies, capers, tomato paste, basilic and parsley.
- Add salt and pepper, cover and cook 5 minutes more.
This makes very good sauce! I only made 1/2 batch, because of the number of diners. I also used 3 small Japanese eggplants, without peeling. I followed the recipe's ingredients and proportions other than that. I do think that the sauce I made could have been more strongly flavored. This may be because of the amount of eggplant. Also, my anchovies seemed very small. Next time I will use more anchovies and red pepper flakes to make a more strongly flavored sauce. However, the sauce I did make disappeared very quickly, and was a lovely dinner. Thank you very much for sharing this delicious recipe with us.