Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a fantastic sauce to make with end of season Tomatoes. A great recipe to serve with pasta which can be bottled or frozen for later use. Cut down the garlic of you want but I think its just right as is! This can be bottled but please sterilize the bottles well as per instructions.
- 2 kg very ripe roma tomatoes
- 2 small white onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups torn basil leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Place tomatoes, onion and 6 of the garlic cloves in a large non reactive pan.
- Place pan over medium heat with the lid slightly ajar and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and press sauce through a sieve or food mill.
- Finely chop remaining garlic and gently cook in oil just lightly until you can smell a garlic smell, remove from heat and stir in the sieved tomato mixture.
- Add the basil leaves salt and sugar and simmer for a further 10 minutes, at this stage taste and add more salt if required.
- Serve or bottle in sterilized bottles and seal or cool and freeze.
- End of the season Tomatoes have a richer taste for sauces.
- Use stainless steel ceramic or cast iron pots to prevent reaction to the tomatoes.
- Place wooden spoon under lid to keep it propped ajar.