Recipe by Ailsa of New Zealand
Really lovely tomato sauce you can have hot or cold. Good with fish or a meat of your choice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400 ml tomato passata or 400 ml canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 -3 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped, to taste
- 5 pitted black olives, drained and halved
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic sweat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add the passata or chopped tomatoes, anchovies, olives, capers and plenty of black pepper, bring to the boil, then lower the heat right down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- May be served with fish, chicken or cold meats.
- Serve hot or cold.