1/4 Photos of Sicilian Tomato & Onion Salad
1 hr 10 mins
Little Bee's Note:
I found this recipe in an attempt for something different to use up an over abundance of summer tomatoes! The garlic salt brings out the juices in the tomatoes, it works as an acid, so there is no need for vinegar. My family just went nuts over this! Great as a side dish or as a lite lunch! The ratio of vegetables can be adjusted to suit your own taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2-1 medium sweet onion, depending on how much onion you like (Vidallia is my favorite)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 -6 leaves fresh basil, chopped to garnish (depending on how much Basil you like)
- 1Cut tomatoes into bite size pieces.
- 2Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
- 3Peel a cut onion in half vertically.
- 4Along edge of open side, “sliver” cut onion and add to tomatoes.
- 5Add the rest of ingredients and toss lightly.
- 6Marinate for at least an hour.
- 7Serve with Italian bread, provolone cheese and hard salami (or other Italian meats.).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sicilian Tomato & Onion Salad
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.2
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 1.4 g