I found this recipe in an attempt for something different to use up an over abundance of summer tomatoes! The garlic salt brings out the juices in the tomatoes, it works as an acid, so there is no need for vinegar. My family just went nuts over this! Great as a side dish or as a lite lunch! The ratio of vegetables can be adjusted to suit your own taste.
- 3 -4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2-1 medium sweet onion, depending on how much onion you like (Vidallia is my favorite)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 -6 leaves fresh basil, chopped to garnish (depending on how much Basil you like)
- Cut tomatoes into bite size pieces.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
- Peel a cut onion in half vertically.
- Along edge of open side, “sliver” cut onion and add to tomatoes.
- Add the rest of ingredients and toss lightly.
- Marinate for at least an hour.
- Serve with Italian bread, provolone cheese and hard salami (or other Italian meats.).