2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This comes from the March 2008 issue of Bon Apetit that featured "The Perfect Potato". Capers, a common ingredient in traditional Sicilian cooking, give this gratin a tangy, briny flavor.Serve alongside whole roasted fish, roast pork, or roasted chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided plus olive oil for brushing pan
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- coarse kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 1/4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced (a mandoline works great here!)
- 8 tablespoons packed grated pecorino romano cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Rub a 13X9X2 inch glass baking dish with cut sides of garlic clove; brush dish with olive oil.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 4Add onions and sprinkle with coarse salt and saute until soft and beginning to brown, stirring frequently, about 13 minutes.
- 5Arrange 1/3 of potato slices in even layer in prepared dish; sprinkle with coarse salt and some freshly ground pepper.
- 6Scatter half of onions over and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons grated cheese and 1 tablespoon of capers.
- 7Repeat layering with half of potatoes, salt and pepper, remaining onions, 2 tablespoons grated cheese and 1 tablespoon capers.
- 8Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 9Arrange remaining potato slices over, sprinkle with salt and pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon of capers; drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 10Pour chicken broth over all and press down firmly on potatoes with wide spatula to compact gratin.
- 11Cover gratin tightly with foil and bake until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- 12Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 4 tablespoon of grated cheese.
- 13Bake gratin uncovered until cheese is lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- 14Let gratin stand 10 minutes at room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sicilian-Style Potato Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.5
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 163.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese