Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe was concocted from a base of an old Sicilian recipe, then morphed into something that used what I had on hand. And a great way to use those nefarious, too soft, canned carrots that we all wish we would have frozen instead! It was a hit with the teens and quite flavorful. From my kitchen to yours. Buon appetito!
- 1 lb ground beef (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, canned, mashed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- In medium skillet, brown ground beef until cooked.
- drain and return to skillet along with olive oil, garlic, herbs and onion.
- saute until onion is translucent, stirring constantly.
- add carrots and saute for a few minutes more.
- put mixture into slow cooker.
- add crushed tomatoes.
- simmer on low for 5 to 6 hours in slow cooker.
- serve with fettucine, linguine, spaghetti or medium tube type pastas.