Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
I serve with crostini. YUM!! From Southern Living.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄4 cup capers
- 6 pitted green olives, chopped
- 6 pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Peel and dice eggplant; Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat; stir/saute eggplant for about 5 minutes; remove eggplant from pan and set aside.
- Add onion to pan; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender; add in tomato sauce and celery; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until celery is tender.
- Return the eggplant to the pan; stir in capers and the remaining ingredients; lower heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes; adjust seasoning to taste.
- Let cool 1 hour.
- Serve with crostini.
I just love caponata and this version is pretty close to the stuff we had in Sicily. The major difference is, that in Sicily all things swim in olive oil. The amount of oil should be doubled, if not trippled, to make it like it is there, oil oozing. But then again, olive oil is good for you and your heart. For my personal preference I would throw in a few more olives and a good slurp of the caper juice from the jar. Extremely tasty!