Recipe by Lorac
Bistecche ala Sisiana is a quick and easy to make authentic Scilian recipe from "A Mediterranean Feast". It is posted by request for Ammogghiu, a Scilian tomato sauce served with steak.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 pound)
- 6 ounces imported black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, very finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chili peppers or 1 green chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 lbs beef steaks, 1/2 inch thick (sirloin, rib eye or Delmonico)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill on high for 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat, then cook the garlic stirring until it begins to brown.
- Remove and discard the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, olives, celery, chili pepper and capers, cook until the liquid is almost evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, season with salt and pepper and stir in the oregano.
- Grill steaks to your liking (about 5 minutes a side will produce a rare steak) and serve topped with the sauce.