Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Great Italian Meal for your Sunday dinner.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1 medium egg, whole beaten
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, soft
- 3 teaspoons romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 lb peas, shelled
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper, ground
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, sliced Flank Steak works well
- 1⁄2 lb genoa salami
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced prosciutto
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, ground beef, beaten egg, breadcrumbs, grated cheese, peas, parsley, salt and pepper. Pound the beef or veal slice until it is 1/2 inch thick.
- Cover the slice with salami and prosciutto and spoon on the ground beef mixture. Arrange the boiled eggs, end-to-end, along the short end of the beef or veal slice. Starting at the end, roll up the meat slice and secure it with twine.
- In a heavy skillet, Saute the onion in the oil over medium heat until it is transparent. Add the meat roll to the skillet and brown it on all sides. Pour in the wine and cook over medium heat until the wine evaporates. Dissolve the tomato paste in once cup of boiling water and add it to the skillet.
- Cook slowly over low heat until the meat roll is tnender and the sauce reduced, about 1 1/2 hours. Add salt and pepper to tate. Let the Bracciole stand for a few minutes. Serve it hot (with the sauce) or at room temperature in 1-inch thick slices. Each slice should have at its center a medallion of yellow egg yolk and a few peas.