Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of our favorite vegan pasta sauces (also good over baked potatoes, leftover lentils, cooked grains, etc); from the Lean, Lucious, and Meatless cookbook. I usually add flax (sometimes ground, sometimes whole) for extra nutrition that goes unseen. Especially good when fresh herbs and spinach are available in season (remember to increase amt of herbs if using fresh).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, coarsely shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed but undrained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In medium saucepan, saute onions, celery, garlic, and carrots in oil over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently, 5-10 min, or until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients; stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover; simmer 5 minute.
Very tasty sauce. Quite easy to make too. I left out the celery and doubled the carrots. This would be great for someone transitioning to healthier eating who likes a super chunky sauce. Nice over whole wheat pasta.