Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This a terrific recipe with no added sugar because tomatoes contain sufficient sugar to make it naturally sweet. We'll put this on pasta not pancakes! It comes from the Sicilian Culture website. Try it and you will see. I also sub 1 lb cooked chicken (if using cooked chicken, cook sauce for complete time and add chicken just prior to serving), or 1 lb Italian hot sausage for the ground beef.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon basil
- salt and pepper (optional)
- Add the olive oil.
- chop cloves of garlic and add to the oil.
- sautee and add the onions until they are clear or translucent
- Try not to burn the garlic, as it will become bitter.
- Combine the meat and fry the meat, breaking it apart until it is browned and cooked.
- Add all to the sauce and continue to simmer for 40 minutes or more.
Yummy and delicious. This went great with our other entrée chicken parmesan. I knew I loved Sicilian food. Made for PAC Spring 2014.