Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not for the faint of heart! I don't know where my Mother got this recipe but my 2 sisters my brother, and our families have always loved it! It is not for the calorie or the fat conscious, but it's definitely worth it occasionally! This was what Mom cooked when I brought my prospective husband to dinner for the first time. When he found out I knew how to make it, he was mine! :-) Serve with crusty hot bread and a nice tossed salad.
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 12 ounces salt pork, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese (this doesn't work well with fresh grated parmesan, use the grated parmesan in the green can. You kno)
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain.
- Cook salt pork until brown, drain.
- Keep meats warm until spaghetti is cooked.
- Cook spaghetti until done.
- While spaghetti is cooking, melt butter over low heat and allow to cool a bit.
- Add well beaten eggs to cooled melted butter.
- Drain spaghetti, and return to pot, add egg/butter mixture.
- Cook slowly until eggs are set.
- Add meat and parmesan cheese.
- Stir like crazy!
Umm Mmmm Good! We love Carbonara and this was fabulous! The ultimate comfort food! Serve with a nice green salad and you have a delicious dinner. Like the other reveiwer we will eat healthy all week so we can have this treat every now and then. I like lots of cracked black pepper on it too! Thanks for the recipe. :)
WOW! This is the ultimate "comfort" food.....absolutely delicious. My husband and I would eat "healthy" for a couple of weeks, just to be rewarded with this. If there were six stars available, I'd do that!