Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
A pretty dish with lots of added veggies! Adapted from a Barnes and Noble Pasta and Italian cookbook.
- olive oil for frying eggplant
- 2 eggplants
- 3 cups ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes (canned)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped (green, red, or yellow)
- 6 ounces dried spaghetti
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Apply cooking spray to the sides and bottom of an 8-inch springform pan.
- Slice the eggplant. Sprinkle salt on both sides of eggplant slices and let "sweat" for about 20 minutes. Rinse eggplant with water and pat dry.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and fry the eggplant until browned on both sides.
- Put the beef, onion, and garlic in a saucepan and cook, stirring until browned.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, marjoram or oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the olives and bell pepper and cook for 10 minutes longer.
- Bring a pan of water with a few drops of olive oil to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until tender, but still firm. Drain and rinse.
- Add spaghetti to meat mixture and cheese and toss together.
- Arrange eggplant slices over the base and up the sides of the springform pan. Add the spaghetti mixture and then cover with remaining eggplant slices.
- Bake at 400F for 40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.