Recipe by Annetty
This recipe is from the Australian Womens Weekly 'Italian' Cookbook. I made it for the first time the other week, its absolutely delicous. It may look a little fiddly but the end result is worth it. Serve it with a nice salad. It also keeps well, we had it for lunch during the week as well.
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 500 g minced steak
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (400 g) canchopped or crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 250 g spaghetti
- 250 g frozen peas
- 90 g cheddar cheese
- 90 g grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut eggplant in 3mm (1/8in) thick.
- Heat about 1/2 the oil in shallow pan, add a single layer of eggplant, cook over medium heat until eggplant is a light golden brown turn and brown other side.
- Remove from pan and place on absorbent paper to drain.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- Add minced steak to pan, cook until browned.
- Add onion and garlic cook for a few moments.
- Add undrained tomatoes, oregano, tomato paste, season with salt& pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for about 20-30min or until liquid is reduced by about half.
- While minced steak in cooking, add spaghetti to a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook until tender about 15min- when cooked drain spaghetti.
- Microwave Peas for 2 minutes.
- Mix together minced steak mixture with spaghetti, peas and grated cheeses using two forks- combine well.
- Grease a 23cm (9in) round cake tin (I used a springform round cake tin), sprinkle evenly with 1/2 the breadcrumbs Place large slices of eggplant in cente of tin, arrange overlapping slices over the base until covered and then continue up the sides of the tin.
- Use spoonfuls of the filling to support the slices as you work around the side of the tin.
- Spoon remaining filling into cake tin, pack down well.
- Arrange the remaining slices of eggplant, overlapping each slice to cover the top of the filling completely.
- Sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs.
- Bake uncovered in a mderate over 25-30 minutes.
- Stand for 5 minutes turn onto a serving plate and sprinkle with chopped parsley.