Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love this soup to death!!! I hope some of you can enjoy it also. :)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, out of casings
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 celery ribs, sliced thin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (**SEE NOTE)
- 1⁄8 cup dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup small shell pasta, elbows
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and onion. Saute until the sausage is browned and onion is soft, about 10 minutes. Keep breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Add carrots and celery, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, basil, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add sugar and stir well. Continue cooking until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add pasta, salt, and pepper. Cook covered about 30 minutes. Serve warm in bowls with grated cheese on top.
- (**ONLY use Del Monte diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano or it will not taste the way I think it should.).