Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is good with a thick chunk of bread and a glass of wine. Source: The Moosewood Cookbook
Top Review by AussieDeb
This is a family favourite! We usually double the seafood. I am making this again tomorrow and may add the spicy sausage as someone suggested. Have always served with bread, but may serve with both rice and bread.
Couldn't source Clam juice, but substituted commercial fish broth and boiled shrimp shells in commercial low salt chicken broth. Just delicious! Good with mussels too.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes or 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 lb scallops, rinsed
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- chopped black olives
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, over high heat, saute onion in the olive oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in the celery and red and green bell peppers; stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, and marjoram; stir to mix.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the clam juice, tomatoes, and wine.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the scallops and shrimp; cook and stir for about 4 minutes or until the scallops are no longer opaque and the shrimp are pink.
- Add in the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste; stir to combine.
- Ladle stew into individual serving bowls.
- Sprinkle capers and chopped black olives on top, if desired.