Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
What can be better? sausage, cheese and bread!
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 4 links sausage (Italian sweet)
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons romano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons lard
- Coat pizza tin with oil.
- Roll out pizza dough on pizza tin.
- Remove casing from sausage, cut up into small pieces and brown lightly with 2 tablespoons of water in frying pan until cooked.
- Remove cooked sausage from frying pan, dry thoroughly with paper towel.
- Dice the Mozzarella.
- Mix 1 raw egg with dried sausage and spread on pizza dough evenly.
- Keep part of the egg yolk for later.
- Spread diced Mozzarella on pizza dough.
- Sprinkle grated Romano cheese on pizza dough.
- Roll up dough into itself and seal ends with brushed egg yolk.
- Bake in 350 degrees oven for about 45 minutes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --.
Great flavor, wasn't sure because of no additional spices - but wonderful as is. That said, I wasn't sure why I needed water while browning the sausage, but did it...will not next time. Will - and think this is critical - run cold water over the sausage b4 mixing w/egg - it was so hot it punched holes in the dough in some places. As for time and servings, I'd say 1 hour start to finish and at least 4 servings. Very Good - will use again but with COLD sausage next time! Spring 2009 Pac Orphanage!