- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled with added puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, basil and oregano; cook until onion softens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Mix in garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer; cook until sauce is of desired thickness.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- NOTE: Sauce can be prepared ahead. Cover and refrigerate 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.