Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandmother is Sicilian, so naturally this sauce was passed down from each generation to all the girls. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as my family does.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red table wine
- 1 (24 ounce) cancrushed san marzano tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons basil, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil and crushed pepper in sauce pan,add onion and garlic. Saute until translucent. Deglaze with wine, add tomatoes cushed and paste. Bring to simmer, continue to simmer for 45 minutes up to 4 hours. Add herbs, sugar, and season if needed.
- Toss with favorite pasta. Serve with grated parmesan romano and a glass of wine.
- Can also add meat/ sausage/ ribs before deglazing with wine. Or mix in a cup of ricotta and grated mozzerella and bake in 400 degree oven until bubbling and golden.
My hubby really liked this! I added some mushrooms during the saute phase and a teaspoon basil. I used Authentic Italian Meatballs for the meatballs. It was really good!