Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Every Night Italian, posted for ZWT IV
Make and share this Sicilian Orange Tart recipe from Food.com.
- 2 oranges, zest of, grated
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into about a dozen pieces
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon ice water (or more)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (juice from the 2 oranges should be sufficient)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For the crust, grate the orange zest using a light pressure so as not to dig into the white pith.
- Make the pastry shell by placing the flour, sugar, butter, egg yolks, orange zest and a pinch of salt into a food processor and running till all ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the ice water and run till a dough is formed. If the mixture is too dry or does not hold together, add a little more ice water, 1 t at a time.
- Remove the dough from the bowl of the processor (careful of the blade) and place it on the removable bottom of a shallow 11 inch tart pan.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough till it is not more than 1/4 inch thick, allowing the dough to extend over the edge.
- Slide the dough and tart pan bottom off the edge of the work surface, placing a hand under the metal bottom and lower it into the outer ring of the tart pan.
- Press the dough against the sides of the pan and trim any overhang.
- Cover the dough with a sheet of foil and weight it with some rice or dried beans. Place the tart pan in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil with the rice or beans and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, make the filling. Put the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a mixer and beat at high speed till pale yellow ribbons form, 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer and pour in the orange juice.
- Pour the mixture into the baked crust and place the tart in the oven. Bake till the top is browned and the filling appears firm with the pan is shaken gently, about 40 minutes.
- Allow the tart to cool completely before serving (may be chilled in the refrigerator).